Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Tips & Tricks on Tackling a Furniture Makeover

Define your home furniture makeover DIY

Hello, Hello! I'm so excited for today! Not only because we're jumping right into the #DefineYourHome series... but today I'm covering everything you need to know to tackle a furniture makeover with Jenna from Rain on a Tin Roof! If you have a DIY itch that you just can't seem to scratch, then sit right down and stay a while. Whether it's your first time taking on a furniture makeover, or you just want to know how a pro makes it look so easy - then Jenna is your girl.

Jenna writes the blog Rain on a Tin Roof and let. me. tell. you. She is wonder woman when she has a paintbrush in her hand! I had the chance to ask her a few questions and had her share her secrets so you can tackle that furniture makeover you've been thinking about with pride. Then you can head over to her blog for all of the furniture & DIY inspiration that any person can need! You can find all of her furniture makeovers here. But before we get to the Q&A, check out my favorite makeovers from Jenna:

Define your home furniture makeover DIY
1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6

DD: Is there a certain process you like to stick with when refinishing a piece of furniture?
        Jenna: Sand first (if needed), clean, prime (if needed), paint, top coat (if needed). See all those "if needed's"? Every piece is different. Not all pieces need sanding. If they don't, always clean the piece first. If the piece has a shiny finish, definitely prime it. Most all pieces will need to be primed unless you are using a paint that typically doesn't require priming. Paint in multiple, light coats. Don't glob it on - that will ruin your paint job! If you are painting a piece that will see a lot of use, definitely use a top coat.
Rain on a Tin Roof furniture DIY
{photo via Rain on a Tin Roof}

DD: What type of paint/ tools can you not live without when it comes to your makeover projects?
        Jenna: Last fall, I discovered the Velvet Finishes paint line and I can't say enough good things about it. It's my new go-to furniture paint. With it, most pieces don't require priming or a topcoat. I also love my electric palm sander when I have to sand a piece - it makes the process go so much faster. And on those rare occasions where I have to strip a piece of furniture, I love my heat gun. For large pieces, I will use my paint sprayer to drastically cut down on time. If I don't use my paint sprayer, I high quality paint brush is a must.

DD: If there was one product that you could recommend to a first-timer to pick up for their first project, what would it be?
        Jenna: A Velvet Finishes paint. It's next to impossible to screw up a paint job with it.
Rain on a Tin Roof furniture DIY
{photo via Rain on a Tin Roof}

DD: What are the most common problems you run into when taking on a new makeover project? How do you prepare to fix them?
        Jenna: It will always take longer than expected - always. Even though, I've done countless furniture makeovers, it never fails I always think I'll have a new one knocked out in a day or so. NEVER HAPPENS! Always allow for more time than you think. It's probably going to take more coats than you think too. Make sure you've got enough time and paint on hand. 

DD: What is your favorite furniture makeover project you've done to date?
        Jenna: Oh my word. For me, that's like asking a mother of 10 who her favorite child is! haha! If i have to choose, it would be this chair makeover. It's a simple black, white and green combination, but it's still very bold.
Rain on a Tin Roof furniture DIY
{photo via Rain on a Tin Roof}

DD: If you could give one piece of advice to a first-timer, what would it be?
        Jenna: Don't be scared! Painting furniture is probably much easier than you think! Start with a piece that you won't care to mess up and that is smaller in scale. You may just be surprised how much you rock at this furniture painting thing!


I think it's time for me to take on a new project! Do you have a piece of furniture that you've been wanting to makeover?



This post is a part of the #DefineYourHome series by Defined Designs. The series is meant to bring inspiration, knowledge, and ideas to you for getting your home in top notch shape and ready for entertaining this summer. I encourage everyone to share a space in your home or something you took home with you from this series on social media using the hashtag #DefineYourHome

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!